Sunday, November 1, 2009

The Parable of the Unlike Sheep
by Joseph Warren Grammer

There once was a shepherd who had a large flock of sheep, one of which he perceived as being different. The shepherd said, “This sheep looks the same as the other sheep, but he does not appear to think or act like other sheep. Since he is unlike the other sheep, he does not belong and is not fit for the flock. He is an unlike sheep. I have no need of this odd sheep, for he might contaminate the other sheep and they, peradventure, will not be fit for the flock either.”

And it came to pass that the shepherd banished the unlike sheep from the flock, and sent him out into the wilderness among wolves. Not only was that sheep considered unlike most other sheep, he was unliked as well. And by and by, the unlike sheep had no flock to which he could belong.

Now it is the tradition that most shepherds, feeling they know what is best for their flock, believe that all other shepherds know what is best for their flocks also — trusting the judgment of other shepherds instead of their own discernment. And as the unlike sheep associated with other flocks, and because of the stigma placed upon him for being banned from another shepherd’s flock, he was neglected and esteemed as of little worth by other shepherds.

So it was that it came to pass that the shepherds never approached the unlike sheep to find out why the first shepherd did not like him. They assumed what the first shepherd said about him was true — never looking or seeking the mind and heart of the unlike sheep.

By and by, though the unlike sheep was spurned by the other sheep of every flock of which he tried to associate, yet there were a few that were congenial — at least for convenience. Nevertheless, there was that distant feeling the unlike sheep sensed from most of them, the other sheep believing to follow their shepherd’s example instead of their own heart and mind. And when many of those with whom the unlike sheep associated — those who did not know of his being cast out of a flock — discovered his disgrace, fear caught hold of them and they became suspicious and distant; fearing that their association with the unlike sheep would cause them to be considered “unlike” as well. Therefore, in their feigned virtue, they continued to safely graze in their self-satisfaction, fearful of thinking for themselves and of the disgrace for associating with those who were unlike and unliked.

And it came to pass that the unlike sheep drifted from flock to flock, being neglected and not spoken to, reviled against and oppressed, mistreated and misunderstood, and generally persecuted. The unlike sheep was never really trusted by the other sheep nor their shepherds, and he never felt fully accepted, wanted, needed, or of any worth to those of whom he considered being apart and who were once his friends. The shepherds fed themselves and their own flock with all good things, leaving the unlike sheep to fend for himself in the wilderness and among wolves. The shepherds were too busy to bother with other sheep outside of their own flock, especially one who was unlike.

So it came to pass that the unlike sheep traveled from place to place, finding no place to lay his weary head.

But it also came to pass that there was one Good Shepherd who heard of this unlike sheep, and the Good Shepherd had compassion upon him. This one Good Shepherd was the Head of all other shepherds, to which the other shepherds payed homage. It was the Good Shepherd who was owner and Lord over all sheep everywhere, only giving a few other shepherds stewardship over a few here and there, as He saw fit. So leaving His other sheep — which grazed safely in the confines of their pasture — the Good Shepherd left and, peradventure, went looking for the lost and unlike sheep.

And it came to pass that the Good Shepherd spoke, saying, “I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep... What man of you, having an hundred sheep, if he lose one of them, doth not leave the ninety and nine in the wilderness, and go after that which is lost, until he find it? And when he hath found it, he layeth it on his shoulders, rejoicing. And when he cometh home, he calleth together his friends and neighbours, saying unto them, Rejoice with me; for I have found my sheep which was lost.” (John 10:11; Luke 15: 4-6.)

And of the last day, through His seers, the Good Shepherd foretold what would transpire with some of His sheep and what remedy He would administer to them, because of the shepherds.

“Thus saith the Lord God unto the shepherds; Woe be to the shepherds of Israel that do feed themselves! should not the shepherds feed the flocks? ... neither have ye brought again that which was driven away, neither have ye sought that which was lost; but with force and with cruelty have ye ruled them. And they were scattered, because there is no shepherd: and they became meat to all the beasts of the field, when they were scattered. My sheep wandered through all the mountains, and upon every high hill: yea, my flock was scattered upon all the face of the earth, and none did search or seek after them.” (Ezek. 34:2-6.)

“[My] watchmen are blind: they are all ignorant, they are all dumb dogs, they cannot bark; sleeping, lying down, loving to slumber. Yea, they are greedy dogs which can never have enough, and they are shepherds that cannot understand: they all look to their own way, every one for his gain, from his quarter.” (Isa. 56:10-11.)

“Woe be unto the pastors that destroy and scatter the sheep of my pasture! saith the Lord. Therefore thus saith the Lord God of Israel against the pastors that feed my people; Ye have scattered my flock, and driven them away, and have not visited them: behold, I will visit upon you the evil of your doings, saith the Lord.” (Jer. 23:1-2.)

“Therefore, ye shepherds, hear the word of the Lord; As I live, saith the Lord God, surely because my flock became a prey, and my flock became meat to every beast of the field, because there was no shepherd, neither did my shepherds search for my flock, but the shepherds fed themselves, and fed not my flock; Therefore, O ye shepherds, hear the word of the Lord; Thus saith the Lord God; Behold, I am against the shepherds; and I will require my flock at their hand,.... (Ezek. 34:7-10.)

“And I will gather the remnant of my flock out of all countries whither I have driven them, and will bring them again to their folds; and they shall be fruitful and increase. And I will set up shepherds over them which shall feed them: and they shall fear no more, nor be dismayed, neither shall they be lacking, saith the Lord.” (Jer. 23:3-4.)

“... Behold, I, even I, will both search my sheep, and seek them out. As a shepherd seeketh out his flock in the day that he is among his sheep that are scattered; so will I seek out my sheep, and will deliver them out of all places where they have been scattered in the cloudy and dark day... I will feed them in a good pasture, and upon the high mountains of Israel shall their fold be: there shall they lie in a good fold, and in a fat pasture shall they feed upon the mountains of Israel. I will feed my flock, and I will cause them to lie down, saith the Lord God. I will seek that which was lost, and bring again that which was driven away, and will bind up that which was broken, and will strengthen that which was sick: but I will destroy the fat and the strong; I will feed them with judgment.

“And as for you, O my flock, thus saith the Lord God; Behold, I judge between saint and saint, between the rams and the he goats. . . Therefore will I save my flock, and they shall no more be a prey; and I will judge between saint and saint. And ye my flock, the flock of my pasture, are men, and I am your God, saith the Lord God.” (See Ezek. 34:11-17, 22, 31 [1-31].)

And the Good Shepherd said concerning those watchmen, pastors, and shepherds who come to Him in the last days, “Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.” (Matt. 7:22-23.)

And it came to pass that the unlike sheep was not unlike anymore; for all the unlike sheep that the Good Shepherd gathered were all ushered in as part of His special flock as in the words He spoke. And all the unlike sheep were never unlike or unliked again, for now they were all alike. They were like the Good Shepherd.